Friday, May 30, 2008

The fish are biting...

Well, I've been applying to different recruitment agencies, all found on Dave's ESL Cafe Korean Job Board

I got a call one night around 10:30pm from a recruiter. In broken English, she asked me how my Korean visa application is going. I was glad she asked, because she outlined the entire process for me. I had been getting conflicting messages online. 

Here's what you need:

- A copy of your diploma
- 2 copies of your university transcripts, sealed
- A criminal background check, specifically the Vulnerable Sector Screening. To get one of these, you will need a letter from a school requesting it. 
- The criminal background check needs to be notarized by a "notary public" or a lawyer

The idiot at the police station didn't seem to know what he was doing. He had me enter the employer requesting the criminal background check as the Korean consulate. The criminal background check needs to be notarized... This doesn't make sense to me. The police station is providing this check, why would they need a lawyer or a notary public?

A notary public is a doctor, dentist, or someone in a higher position in society. Notary publics differ by country. For more information on notary publics, see the wikipedia article here

So far I've been in contact with 3 recruiting agencies, one of which called me. She seemed nice and sincere, despite her broken English. She estimated I would be in Seoul in mid-July, which is perfect since it's just the time I was hoping for. 

1 comment:

The Big Hirt said...

Well a notery Public is a Lawyer... he basically puts his stamp of legitimacy on the document. It's pretty stupid since you have to pay for a background check and it has the stamp of the police office on it.